Sunday, August 9, 2009

Organic vs. Conventional

A couple of weeks ago my coworker revealed to me that organic food was shown to be no healthier than conventionally grown food, a "huge study" had proven this.

My face contorted a bit.

Yes, down on the micro nutrient level, there is probably little difference. I doubt that organic and conventionally grown vegetables differ all that much in composition or nutritional value, but that isn't the point. I saw the "groundbreaking study" in news articles for the next week or so, and my blood pressure rose each time.

It's not what organic food has in addition over conventionally grown food, it is what it is lacking that makes it so much better for you.

I think we can all agree that food without poison will generally be better for you, but there is so much more to the organic food industry (oh, yes, we've arrived) that you must become an informed shopper. This is especially important regarding meat and poultry.

Here is a great article on what it means to be organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment