Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Have a Confession

I love mushy, overcooked squash. The mushier and more overcooked, the better in my opinion. Overcooking is the WORST way to consume vegetables, which conveniently brings me to my ultimate question of the day:

How much of your vegetables are consumed raw?

Seriously folks, vegetables are nature's medicine, and cooking them down to the mushy pulp I speak of renders their mega nutrients obsolete! It's very hard, I completely understand. My heart goes out to you if you are new to the world of vegetables, however, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Here's some tips to get you started, and remember, mostly raw is ok too...

*Chop spinach up into small chunks and toss it with water chestnuts. Use as a base to put your grilled meat or fish on top of. The heat from the cooked meat will wilt the spinach.
*Every bitter green fares a little easier on the taste buds if you mix it with something sweet. Dino kale diced up with dried cranberries (or chopped apples) tossed with olive oil, lemon juice and toasted pine nuts is amazing.
*Dice bell peppers, cucumbers, and crumble cauliflower into a bowl with 6oz of salmon. Add olive oil, pepper (salt if you aren't strict paleo), and diced mint for extra zing!
*Use a veggie peeler and slice yellow squash and zucchini into "ribbons" and use as the base for your cooked meat entree. The heat from the meat will blanch the squash.
*Cabbage marinated in olive oil and a little apple cider vinegar loses it's crunch and becomes soft, which for some is easier to manage.

Please let me know if you have anything to add to the list, or if there is a veggie that you have yet to tame, I'll see if I can't locate a recipe for you!

2 comments:

  1. I'll see your mushy squash and raise you a "I like my veggies with char marks."

    Yeah, my specialty is bl;ackened vegetables, sauteed until they have little brown spots where the natural sugars have carmelized. But before you ban my Sunbutter as punishment... I eat lightly steamed spinach about 3 times a week AND I eat two raw veggies as snacks every day.

    Can I get a "hell, yeah" in the house for balance and moderation.

    Hell.
    Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that eating raw veggies "match-stick" style really helps. If you have the time to cut veggies like zucchini match stick style and toss them in a salad, somehow they don't seem as raw and hard to get through. If you don't have time, a quick fix I love is the bag of broccoli slaw at HEB. It's simply broccoli stalks, cauliflower, and a tiny amount of carrots all cut up like match sticks. That's it! Pour that bag into your salad and your good to go...I hardly even notice I've eaten raw broccoli.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/1098031565_88c7691943.jpg?v=0

    ReplyDelete